Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Why?

I just read one story on one of my favorite sites, www.hpana.com . Site is about Harry Potter, and I full of forums. I was member there, but I broke some rules, so now I'll have to log again in October, on my b-day.

Anyway, story is about girl, Katie O'Brien, who lost her battle with leukemia in thirteenth year of her life. It was earlier this year. Thing why is that posted on HPANA is that that she had fan fic based on Harry Potter books. She posted it on one of HP fan fic saites. Katie wrote her story more then two years, with help of her father Dave. Her dreams was to become writer and writing her fan fic helped her in that.

When FictionAlley's staff learned that Katie had passed, they realised that the best way that the site could honour her memory would be to provide other writers, as well as artists and those who give back to the community, with help in making their dreams come true.

With the permission of Katie's family, FictionAlley has established a scholarship fund in Katie's name. Over one thousand dollars have already been raised from the sale of With the permission of Katie's family, FictionAlley has established a scholarship fund in Katie's name. Over one thousand dollars have already been raised from the sale of wristbands, and from donations from FictionAlley members and their parents, but the site needs to raise nearly five thousand dollars to fund the three scholarships for three years. FictionAlley is confident that they will reach their goal, and so, beginning in 2006, they plan to award one for writing, one for art, and one for community service; each recipient will receive $500 (US) from FictionAlley to use towards his or her education.

So, if you want to help Katie's family making Katie's dreams come true you can buy wristbands. Unfortanatly, here where I live (Somewhere over the raindbow, but over the black raindbow, not raindbow you know for) I don't think I can buy it, but I would be more then happy helping her family and making story of Katie even more popular.

If you wanna to read Katie's story her is link:
Anna Grayson & the Order of Merlin
I know I'm going to read it this days!

P.S. I dunno why am I posting this. I was just vary tuched with this story, so I wonted to share it with world. It's really sad how many young people dai this days. I just rimembered that last year when I was at hospital, medicine sister said that there were some kids with leukemia up stairs. I didn't ever think about that, until now. Now it all aund so horible to me and I wish now taht I didn't yell so much or made party at 3am... Don't ask!

P.P.S. If you want to read full story go here:
Potterites 'band' together for fallen fan, create scholarship

2 Comments:

At Thursday, June 23, 2005 7:11:00 pm, Blogger Kate said...

wow, that's really cool of them to do that!

 
At Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:46:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anjamon, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to publish your message about my daughter's book, Anna Grayson and The Order of Merlin http://home.earthlink.net/~rlobrien/ Since her passing in March, so many wonderful people have taken the time to read Katie's work and and sent in some very nice reviews and message of support to me and our family. They've been a blessing through this most difficult time. If for no other reason, I'm hoping Katie's personal story of wanting to be a writer will encourage other young and talented people to try their hand at fan fiction. It's a remarkable way to get your work in the public view. Thank you again for your kind message about my daughter. God Bless, Dave O'Brien daveobrienasannagrayson@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home